Quality Council of India (QCI) was set up jointly by the Government of India and the Indian Industry represented by the three premier industry associations i.e. Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM), Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI), to establish and operate national accreditation structure and promote quality through National Quality Campaign. QCI is registered as a non-profit society with its own Memorandum of Association. QCI is governed by a Council of 38 members with equal representations of government, industry and consumers. Chairman of QCI is appointed by the Prime Minister on recommendation of the industry to the government.
The Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion, Ministry of Commerce & Industry, is the nodal ministry for QCI.
It functions through the executive boards in the specific areas i.e. Accreditation for
Conformity Assessment Bodies,
Education & Vocational Training Providers.
In addition it has an exclusive Board for promotion of Quality.
Driving Quality for National Well Being
Keeping in view the mission; “Quality for National Well Being”, the Council is playing a pivotal role at the national level in propagating, adoption and adherence to quality standards in all important spheres of activities including education, healthcare, environment protection, governance, social sectors, infrastructure sector and such other areas of organized activities that have significant bearing in improving the quality of life and well being of the citizens of India and without restricting its generality inter-alia include:
- To develop, establish & operate National Accreditation program in accordance with the relevant international standards & guides for the conformity assessment bodies certifying products, personnel, management systems, carrying out inspection and for the laboratories undertaking testing & calibration and such other areas of organized activities that have significant bearing in improving the quality of life and well being of the citizens of India.
- To develop, establish and operate National Accreditation Programs for various service sectors such as education, healthcare, environment protection, governance, social sectors, infrastructure sector, vocational training etc., to site a few, as may be required, based on national/international standards and guidelines and where such standards are not available, to develop accreditation standards to support accreditation programs.
- To build capacities including development of appropriate quality accreditation mechanism for other emerging areas that have significant bearing in improving the quality of life and well being of the citizens of India such as food sector, oil & gas, forestry, agriculture /animal husbandry, warehouse, pharmacy etc. or as the need may arise from time to time.
- To encourage development & application of third party assessment model for use in government, regulators, organizations and society.
- To build capacities in the areas of regulation, conformity assessment and accreditation to overcome TBT/SPS constraints.
- To lead nationwide quality movement in the country through National Quality Campaign aimed at creating awareness amongst citizens, empowering them to demand quality in all spheres of activities, and promoting and protecting their well being by encouraging manufacturers and suppliers of goods and service providers for adoption of and adherence to quality standards and tools.
- To develop apropos capacities at the level of Governments, Institutions and enterprises for implementing & institutionalizing continuous quality improvement.
- Promoting the establishment of quality improvement and benchmarking centre, as a repository of best international / national practices and their dissemination among the industry in all the sectors.
- To promote quality competitiveness of India’s enterprises especially MSMEs through adoption of and adherence to quality management standards and quality tools.
- To encourage industrial / applied research and development in the field of quality and dissemination of its result in relevant publication including and trade journals;
- To facilitate effective functioning of a National Information & Enquiry Services on standards & quality including an appeal mechanism to deal with unresolved complaints.
To be among the world’s leading national apex quality facilitation, accreditation and surveillance organisations, to continuously improve the climate, systems, processes and skills for total quality.
To help India achieve and sustain total quality and reliability, in all areas of life, work, environment, products and services, at individual, organisational, community and societal levels.
- Establish and maintain an accreditation structure in the country
- Provide right and unbiased information on quality related standards
- Spread quality movement in the country through National Quality Campaign
- Facilitate upgradation of equipments and techniques related to quality
- Represent India’s Interest in International forums
- Help establish brand equity of Indian products and services